Subject: Re: [boost] Status of Visual Studio 2017 support
From: Billy O'Neal (VC LIBS) (bion_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-02-21 07:31:20

>I'll be shocked in libraries built with msvc-14.0 are compatible with
msvc-15.0 (toolset v141). For one, there are new C++14 features only in
msvc-15.0, so they won't have been built in for libraries built with
msvc-14.0. I think naming the toolset v141 was a big mistake as it seems to
be about as close to v140 as v140 was to v120 (there was never a v130
toolset).

Even if you have a newer library that needs C++14 features and thus will only build with VS2017 / v141, it will be link compatible with older code built with VS2015 / v140. This is no different than how 2015 Updates were still v140 but delivered new C++ features. (I believe, but am not certain, the only reason the number was bumped at all was that people didn't like testing _MSC_FULL_VER to detect presence of features added in updates)