Subject: Re: [boost] [stacktrace] review
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-03-09 00:20:36
On 08/03/2017 19:59, mbartosik via Boost wrote:
> I see that Boost.stacktrace is up for review March 17, 2017 - March 26, 2017
> I've got some broad feedback. I'm in a race to comment before I go on
> vacation on Friday, so I'm sorry if I've missed something or misunderstood.
> I will try and follow the thread while on vacation - but not sure that will
Thanks for the pre-review review.
I don't want to disturb the Safe Numerics review, but here is the
changelog in Stacktrace since the last review:
* Reimplemented boost::stacktrace::basic_stacktrace class to accept
allocators and to have a small size
* Added outputting of the path to the binary object into the
stacktrace, when source location is not available
* Allowed to use `libbacktrace` - a defacto standard for GCC/CLANG
backtracing that does not fork and has a permissive license
* Optimized stacktrace and frames ostreaming
* Removed backends and made the default tracing to have only platform
basic functionality. Added macros to enable additional functionality.
* Fixed (theoretically) MinGW compilation
* Added functions for async-safe dumping into memory or descriptor
* Changed signal handling example to be async-signal-safe
* Allowed users to choose how many frames to skip during stack capture
* Removed `boost::stacktrace::stacktrace` functions and other
internals from printed stack traces
* Updated docs:
* examples now use Boost.Exception
* removed all the references to "backend"
* reduced macro count
* "Build, Macros and Backends" section was rewritten and became
"Configuration and Build"
* added note that library is C++03
* added examples on storing traces into shared memory
* updated all the human readable dumps
Some of these address your concerns in your review, however quite a few
points in your review have not been addressed, and some look quite
important. Perhaps Antony might consider these before the 17th?
-- ned Productions Limited Consulting http://www.nedproductions.biz/ http://ie.linkedin.com/in/nialldouglas/