Subject: Re: [boost] [safe_numerics] Formal review starts today
From: Paul A. Bristow (pbristow_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-03-09 15:23:29

Complicated to use (compared to int), and very, very complicated to write.

But that is a consequence of the daft design of the C language.

The language also doesn't allow use of hardware to handle overflow (and underflow) and doesn't have arrays etc as first class citizens.

I don't believe that it is really a idiot-proof drop-in replacement for the built-in integral types, but it will be fine to be used for new projects, especially as it needed the fancy features of C++14.

I agree that explicit conversions are the Right Thing, but they do carry a cost to the users - the need to understand the issues and take care with construction and assignment because this is a User Defined Type (UDT) and the special-case privileges of built-in do not apply (another daft design decision). Floating-point and fixed-point UDT have proved unintuitive to use because of explicit conversions; there are big elephant traps awaiting the unwary.

Costly at compile time because of the number of libraries included, but that's a cost worth paying.

I like that the infrastructure might be extended to other than integral types.

Above my pay grade.

Good exposition of the problems and solutions.

Good examples.

Links to source of examples code would be *very* useful. Starting with an example is the most common way of 'getting started'.

Will using "" file specification
#include "../include/safe_range.hpp"
instead of <>
#include <../include/safe_range.hpp>
cause trouble for users trying to use/modify the examples in Boost or their own folder position?

The common need for overflow (or underflow) to become 'saturation' == max_value (or min_value) is not an option (but then it is arithmetically 'wrong', I suppose ;-))

> - What is your evaluation of the potential usefulness of the library?

Very valuable to make programs that 'always work' instead of 'mostly work'.

Users might appreciate a list of compiler versions that really do work.
Sadly 'Compliant C++14' is a bit fuzzy. (Should become clearer if accepted and test matrix visible).

A good effort at working round fundamental C language defects.

> - Did you try to use the library? With what compiler? Did you have any problems?

Had a very brief try with VS 2015 with /std:c++latest added to command line (to try to ensure C++14 compliance) but am stuck with

1>j:\cpp\safe_numeric\safe_numeric\include\interval.hpp(107): error C2737: 'boost::numeric::`anonymous-namespace'::failed_result': 'constexpr' object must be initialized
1>j:\cpp\safe_numeric\safe_numeric\include\safe_base_operations.hpp(131): error C2244: 'boost::numeric::safe_base<T,Min,Max,P,E>::operator =': unable to match function definition to an existing declaration

But I am sure that this is entirely my fault, but I'm out of my time allotted to this review.

Also - Is this warning(s) avoidable/relevant/quietable?

j:\cpp\safe_numeric\safe_numeric\include\safe_base.hpp(233): warning C4814: 'boost::numeric::safe_base<T,Min,Max,P,E>::operator =': in C++14 'constexpr' will not imply 'const'; consider explicitly specifying 'const'

I feel that all warnings should be avoided or supressed using push'n'pop pragmas.

> - How much effort did you put into your evaluation? A glance?

 A quick reading.

> - Are you especially knowledgeable about the problem domain?

No.

> Do you think the library should be accepted as a Boost library?

Yes.

Paul

PS I noted a few typos in documentation (though I doubt these have escaped Steven's fine-tooth-combing ;-).

multiplication etc. . C/C++ often automatically - extraneous .

similar, We'll - should be lower case w.

the expression will yield the correct mathematical result - missing .

trap at compiler time all operations which might fail at runtime. - compile-time

(Better to use compile-time and run-time throughout? Inventing new words is unnecessary and hyphenating is good for readbility)

This solution is simple, Just replace instances - lower case j

parameters are guarenteed to meet requirements when - guaranteed

our program compiles without error - even when using the trap_exception exception policy - missing .

We only needed to change two lines of code to achieve our goal missing .

( throw exception, compile time trap, etc..) no implementation should return an arithmetically incorrect result. - extraneous space after ( and missing . and new sentence No implementation ...

C++ operations permitted on it's base type - should be its (possessive!)

---
Paul A. Bristow
Prizet Farmhouse
Kendal UK LA8 8AB