Subject: Re: [boost] [safe_numerics] Review
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-03-12 16:20:36

On 3/12/17 3:32 AM, Paul A. Bristow via Boost wrote:

> [...]

Very clever and appropriate. Among the "others", we can count integers
represented by computers.

Since you've ventured off topic into "funny" incidents. Here's mine

tl;dr;
A number of years ago 2010? BoostCon (C++Now) was casting about for a
keynote speaker. I suggested William Kahan (a professor of mine in
1970)- well known mathematician responsible for design of the 8087
floating point processor, IEEE784 standard and winner of the Turing
award. I contacted the program committee. The first problem was that
no on on the committee had heard of him. After a litte bit they
suggested I feel him out about being keynote. I did so and he agreed.
I informed the committee that he would do it. But they weren't
convinced and kept him for a backup - while they settled on someone
else. Which would have been OK except that they took way too long to
decide and annoyed Dr. Kahan. Since I had put myself "out there" on
this I was pretty pissed off.

But the really interesting part of the story is how little computer
programmers of today actually know or care about numbers. It shows up
all over the place. It's up to a small group of insurgents (boost) to
bring the world to it's senses.

Robert Ramey