Subject: Re: [boost] [build] VC++ 2017 version number?
From: Gavin Lambert (gavinl_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-03-14 00:07:48

> 19.10 is certainly unambiguous but the problem with it is that no normal
> person remembers which VC++ is which _MSC_VER.
>
> Although no normal person remembers that VC++ 2008 is msvc-9.0 either.

I think you learn that one pretty quick -- all it takes is a trip to the
installation directory. I agree that nobody remembers the _MSC_VER,
however.

Whatever $(PlatformToolsetVersion) resolves to seems like a good choice
to me; I've often used this in build scripts and props files for folder
names or components of library names to disambiguate between multiple VC
versions, and at least for prior VC versions it matches the convention
used for Boost DLL names...