Subject: Re: [boost] [partly OT] Re: [review queue] What to do about the library review queue?
From: Peter Dimov (lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-03-16 00:56:41

Glen Fernandes wrote:
> peterkochlarsen wrote:
> > Also an unmaintained library should be marked as such as should
> > libraries that are deprecated, replaced by standard C++ features
> > (shared_ptr comes to mind)
>
> shared_ptr (or Boost.SmartPointers in general) is not unmaintained, and is
> not deprecated.
>
> It actually has been evolving past the C++11 std::shared_ptr.
> For example, boost::shared_ptr supported array forms in 1.53 and this was
> eventually added to C++ in C++17.

And, since we managed to not get the array form of make_shared into C++17,
boost::make_shared will remain relevant a few more years.

This reminds me of the saying "looking for the lost keys under the street
light." We have a problem, what can we do? I know, let's deprecate and
remove boost::shared_ptr!