Subject: Re: [boost] [release] 1.64.0 Delayed because of Microsoft (version numbers)
From: Stephan T. Lavavej (stl_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-03-20 21:17:05

[Mateusz Loskot]
> I don't think this is argument holds strong in practice.
> AFAIK, PlatformToolseVersion and its derivatives used in
> Boost are never compared as range, like _MSC_VER often is,
> but as exact values.
> Boost tests for:
> v140
> v141
> and, if at any time Microsoft replaces it with, STL (tm):
> meow
> let it be so.

FYI, we're planning to release a toolset that will be binary-incompatible with v140 and v141 at some point in the future (the libraries, and probably the compiler too, will be bin-incompatible, to allow us to make significant improvements to data structure layout and so forth that we're otherwise unable to make).

We haven't decided on that toolset's versioning at this point. (I expect/hope that it will be very distinctive and not easily confused with the current versions; Visual C++ vMeow does have a nice ring to it...)

STL