Subject: Re: [boost] NuDB: A fast key/value insert-only database for SSD drives in C++11
From: Peter Dimov (lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-03-21 21:01:26

Vinnie Falco wrote:

> I just released version 1.0.0 of my header-only C++11 library NuDB.
> Its quite a mature library, haven't had to make any changes in a while.
> Its been running on production servers for 2 years or so with no problems,
> managing ever-growing databases of 2TB.
>
> I'm wondering what the level of interest, if any, there would be for
> making this a part of Boost. You can check it out here:
>
> https://github.com/vinniefalco/NuDB

The obvious question one might have is, in what scenarios is a database that
only supports insertions, but not updates or deletions, useful?

A follow-up to that is, is it not possible to add update/delete support to
NuDB by just appending the new data and making the key file point to the new
location (using zero-sized data for deletions)?

Last, the README says "Value sizes from 1 to 2^32 bytes (4GB)", but the file
format says uint48_t. Which is it? 2^32 is perhaps a bit limiting nowadays.