Subject: Re: [boost] [review queue] What to do about the library review queue?
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-03-24 22:18:06

On 3/15/17 1:22 AM, Andrzej Krzemienski via Boost wrote:
> Another thought. When I look at the review queue, and also at the libraries
> listed in BLIncubator, my personal feeling is that some libraries do not
> fit into Boost. This is just my impression, but it rises a question.
>
> There is no bar for libraries to be requested for a formal review, without
> a review manager. Also, authors for some libraries maybe just want to get
> some useful feedback, and not necessarily get their library into Boost.
> Maybe we need some additional stage. BLIncubator was designed to fill this
> gap. Maybe it can still be made to work. Maybe people who feel something
> need to be done in the review queue, should go through the list of
> libraries in BLIncubator, and give their authors feedback.
>
> Maybe, we should be doing some informal pre-reviews. Take one library from
> the queue. Contact the author; check if he/she is still alive, and discuss
> with him why they want the library into boost and why we don't (or do) like
> it, and what we would rather expect.

Right. It would be very easy to make a rule that no library can go into
the review queue until it has two reviews in the incubator.

I think this would address ALL the problems mentioned in this thread
with zero additional overhead, rules or bureaucracy. It would be easy
to modify or retract as well. In fact I think the review wizard could
easily say (if he wanted to). Due to the high demand and limited
resources for quality boost reviews,

"I'm announcing that I won't be adding any reviews to the queue that
don't have at least two reviews already and someone willing to act as
review manager."

What would be the matter with this?

Robert Ramey