Subject: Re: [boost] [flat_set] When to sort?
From: Chris Glover (c.d.glover_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-03-29 02:13:42

We can have different "adopt" variants depending on the guarantees the
user provides, just like we have different "insert" versions
(ordered_unique_t, etc.). The "safe" one can assume passed vector is
unordered and just sorts and calls unique if needed. Other variants
might just skip sorting if the user requires so.

Sure.

For people that does not care avoid traversal order, then a new
container, flat_unordered_map, is needed. Something like an open
addressing hash table, I guess.

I've been wanting this for some time -- enough that I should probably
volunteer to write it. I know it's been discussed before and nothing has
come of it. Does anyone recall why? Because it just hasn't been done?

-- chris