Subject: Re: [boost] [VS2017][release] vswhere.exe
From: Rene Rivera (grafikrobot_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-03-29 14:57:04

On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 9:34 AM, Beman Dawes via Boost <
boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 9:43 AM, degski via Boost <boost_at_[hidden]>
> wrote:
>
> > On 28 March 2017 at 08:34, Rene Rivera via Boost <boost_at_[hidden]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > And at least because of license issues I'm not comfortable
> > > including it in the Boost tree, or install.
> >

> > Why don't you simply ask them, whether it is OK to include vswhere.exe in
> > the boost distribution? This way you can also ensure that it works with
> the
> > boost code as "you" are the one controlling the version of vswhere.exe to
> > be included.
> >
> > IANAL, but the https://github.com/Microsoft/vswhere readme is very
> clear:
> "*vswhere* is designed to be a redistributable, single-file executable that
> can be used in build or deployment scripts to find where Visual Studio - or
> other products in the Visual Studio family - is located."
>
> "redistributable" is the term Microsoft uses elsewhere to describe files
> they hold copyright to that are OK for users to redistribute." There really
> doesn't seem to me to be any need to check with them, but just to be sure
> I'll check with Andrew Pardoe.

The key license issue is that they are using the MIT license. It requires
attribution and license terms with *any* redistribution. Which could cause
problems for people and companies that download Boost and further
redistribute their products. As it's unclear if they should include that
attribution and license in their products as derivatives because they use
Boost as a product.

--
-- Rene Rivera
-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything