Subject: Re: [boost] BOOST license & GPL
From: Niklas Angare (li51ckf02_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-04-01 18:19:02

"Oliver Kowalke via Boost" wrote:
> I encountered a open source project that is released under GPL and uses
> Boost - that's OK, because GPL and Boost license should be compatible.
> Additionally, because they copied the code from several Boost files into
> one, they mixed up copyright statements. As a result, some people get
> copyright on code they never wrote.

I don't believe copyright notices have any bearing on who actually owns the
copyright. Someone else getting the copyright for your work because someone
put their name in the copyright notice would be absurd.

The Berne convention does not require a copyright notice to retain
copyright:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berne_Convention

This list shows when the convention came into effect in different countries:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_parties_to_international_copyright_agreements

But as Andrey notes, copyright notices can be useful in practice.

Regards,

Niklas Angare