Subject: Re: [boost] [simd] Hardware support
From: Mario Mulansky (mario.mulansky_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-04-08 18:28:37

> On Apr 8, 2017, at 6:49 AM, Niall Douglas via Boost <boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
>> I personally have severe concerns about all aspects of intellectual
>> property surrounding that library and the people behind it.
>> For example, when I did a talk about Boost.SIMD at a conference using
>> nothing but open-source material, my employer received a cease-and-desist
>> letter and was asked to destroy all material related to Boost.SIMD as
>> NumScale claimed it was their property. My employer complied to be on the
>> safe side.
>>
>> I believe that during the review we should definitely take into account how
>> the existence of the two versions of the software can be harmful to users.
>
> Eh, sorry, are you saying that anybody who uses Boost.SIMD may receive a
> cease and desist legal order from the people behind its commercial
> edition? Because if so, I think the SFF of which Boost is a part would
> say that means that library cannot enter Boost due to being of uncertain
> legal providence.

I have used Boost.SIMD in some simulations, wrote a blog post about that [1] and presented it in talks at C++ conferences [2,3]. This is about as public as one can use an OS library. So I can ensure you that using Boost.SIMD is no different then any other library in this regard.

Best,
Mario

[1] https://www.codeproject.com/Articles/841136/Boosting-ODE-simulations-with-Boost-odeint-and-Boo
[2] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KN8MFFvRl50