Subject: Re: [boost] [simd] Hardware support
From: Bryce Adelstein Lelbach (balelbach_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-04-08 20:37:44

Thijs (M.A.) van den Berg wrote:
> I would be worried about you (in this hypothetical case) being able to
> reject
> improvements to the boost version. ... So suppose that someone want to
> improve the boost versions, because it is all sort of slow bits, would you
> accept those changes as a library maintainer? Or would you block them
> because
> it would ruin your commercial business ?

As Joel has stated later in this thread, it's not their intention to do so,
and
(IIUC) they already take patches to the OS version that adds support for
things
from the closed source version. He also mentioned that bSIMD licensing is
not
their only way of making money on their work.

Is the concern here that Joel/NumScale might not be able to stick to this
policy
in the future? Would people be less concerned if the library had other
maintainers
with no commercial interest in bSIMD?