Subject: Re: [boost] Libraries and C++ compliance
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-04-10 13:29:07

> clang 3.5 (LLVM)
> clang 3.7 (with Microsoft Codegen)
> GCC 5.4
> VS2015 Update 2
> Xcode 7.3
>
> That's good, but as Edward pointed out knowing what values of -std= (or
> equivalent) are required is also needed. If the -std= default is
> acceptable, that should be mentioned too.

If a library clearly states at the top that it is a C++ 14 library, I'd
think it obvious to start with -std=c++14 for older compilers needing
that if you're manually configuring its usage. You've already documented
it's a C++ 14 library.

I don't think the documentation should suggest compiler flags as these
vary between compilers and platforms and versions of the compiler and
downstream use case. Besides, for anyone using cmake it is taken care
for you anyway as cmake abstracts that nitty gritty away.

BTW Outcome does compiler feature detection and complains loudly with
useful error messages if you try using it on a compiler without
sufficient C++ 14 features. Outcome also tells cmake what compiler
features it needs. If it is accepted, it will tell Boost.Build the
compiler features needed too.

Niall

--
ned Productions Limited Consulting