Subject: Re: [boost] Boost licensing information
From: Andrey Semashev (andrey.semashev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-04-13 10:01:26

On 04/13/17 01:55, Niall Douglas via Boost wrote:

> The biggest objection I
> always heard from Legal(s) was patent threat, and the BSL says
> absolutely zero about patents.
>
> You may notice all the v2.0 revisions of major open source licences do
> now say something about patents. That's why.

Having a section regarding patents in the license implies that the
author is supposed to perform a research on possible patent
infringement. Otherwise he might be giving a license to patents he
doesn't own. I'd say most of the Boost contributors don't have the
resources or will to conduct such research, so this task is upon users
(more presicely, those users who act in jurisdictions that recognize
software patents).

Pretty much the same goes for trademarks.