Subject: Re: [boost] Win10 now allows symlink creation without elevated privileges
From: Bjørn Roald (bjorn_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-05-14 16:02:39

> On 14 May 2017, at 14:46, Edward Diener via Boost <boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
> On 5/14/2017 7:47 AM, Pavel Kretov via Boost wrote:
>>> [...] Windows 10 allows normal users to create symlinks if the machine
>>> is put into Developer mode
>> At least you don't have to be a Microsoft Certified Symlink Creator to
>> use this feature. But does Boost use symlinks for anything in its
>> source tree?
>
> Boost uses symlinks, when available, to create its 'boost' subdirectory in the source tree. That's what running 'b2 headers' from the Boost root is all about, although I believe this latter is now done automatically when using b2.

I would like to have that confirmed if possible by Boost.Build experts. It is possible it appear to be done automatically, as it did in the past, but did not produce correct (complete) results unless called explicitly. It is certainly desired to be automatic and correct, but take care to state it is so unless you are sure. I think Steven had some intentions to find a solution, but I am not sure it was ever fixed.

—
Bjørn