Subject: Re: [boost] base64 ?
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-05-15 17:19:41

On 5/15/17 8:34 AM, Andrey Goryachev via Boost wrote:
>> it doesn't do the padding with '='
> Much worse is that it doesn't parse input with such padding correctly.

Right - it was written for use in a specific context. Had I known it was
going to be so popular, I might have made it a little more general, but
I was pretty busy at the time. There's no reason this couldn't be fixed
if someone was actually interested in doing so.

> This
> issue is so severe that IMO that thing should not be called base64, as it
> misleads new users.

LOL - just about all nomenclature turns out to be misleading for someone
- and some turns out to be misleading for everyone. (vector, concepts,
...). Sorry I didn't name it better.

The most interesting think about the base64 is it's implementation in
terms of composed iterator ranges. This has turned out to be quite
interesting, useful and unique.

Robert Ramey