Subject: Re: [boost] [review] Review of Outcome (starts Fri-19-May)
From: Vinnie Falco (vinnie.falco_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-05-19 14:22:24

On Fri, May 19, 2017 at 7:13 AM, Niall Douglas via Boost
<boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Outcome makes use of variable templates. There is still a code path
> using types instead, but it is used exclusively on MSVC and I aim to
> remove it as soon as Microsoft fix their compiler (I was told it'll be
> VS2017 Update 1).

So Outcome requires C++14 then? Does this mean that compilation with
gcc 4.9.x is not supported?

> I intend to drop support for VS2015 before Outcome enters Boost,

Although I have not yet attempted my own implementation of
expected/outcome, it seems to me that an implementation using only
C++11, or even only pre-C++11, is quite possible. There are still many
shops that are "stuck" on particular older versions of Visual Studio.
Restricting a generally useful library which parallels a standard
library proposal, to only the latest version of Visual Studio sounds
quite harsh.

Thanks