Subject: Re: [boost] std::auto_ptr in public interfaces
From: Richard Hodges (hodges.r_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-05-20 17:18:00

For what it's worth my view is that c++17 is a breaking change from c++14.
The boost interfaces have to move to unique_ptr at this point since anyone
upgrading to 17 has to deal with the auto_ptr to unique_ptr move in all
code anyway.

If the maintainers have the bandwidth, I'd like my c++14 code to stop
whining about auto_ptr when I link to boost. Since auto_ptr is deprecated
in 14 I'd prefer to see the auto_ptr interface vanish when building for 14
unless I specifically request it by defining the preprocess or symbol
BOOST_ALLOW_AUTO_PTR or some such.

After all I deliberately compiled with c++14. I already knew that auto_ptr
was deprecated.

Having said this, in my firm I mandate that we move to the newest released
standard as soon as clang and gcc support it properly, so I guess I'll only
have to see hose warning for a few months more.