Subject: Re: [boost] [outcome] non-interface-related concerns
From: Glen Fernandes (glen.fernandes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-05-27 16:07:09

On Sat, May 27, 2017 at 7:40 AM, Niall Douglas wrote:
> I have also received quite a bit of private email begging me to keep
> Outcome free of a hard Boost dependency if accepted.
[snip]
> Actually there is overwhelming evidence that Boost **users** do not want
> a dependency on Boost. But I've been saying that for years now.

It seems like these users are best satisfied with just
github.com/ned14/outcome. i.e. They wouldn't even need Outcome to be
part of the Boost collection of libraries, if they desire Outcome to
be standalone and independent of Boost.

Meanwhile, those Boost users who do have some expectation or desire
that libraries included in the Boost distribution benefit from all the
work done in other libraries (e.g. compiler workarunds, compiler
feature detection), or simply not duplicate code that another Boost
library has an optimal implementation of, would have different
expectations of a "Boost" Outcome.

Glen