Subject: Re: [boost] [outcome] High level summary of review feedback accepted so far
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-06-02 10:23:26

On 02/06/2017 01:06, Gavin Lambert via Boost wrote:
> On 2/06/2017 06:33, Niall Douglas wrote:
>>>
>>> Except empty. value() throws that as an exception. exception() also
>>> throws that as an exception (not returning it), which means that the
>>> programmer can't make that assumption you just claimed.
>>>
>>> Maybe that's what you want (as it leads very quickly to empty ==
>>> std::terminate), but it's not consistent with use of empty as a success
>>> return as you've suggested in a few places.
>>
>> Empty is supposed to have the severest, most abnormal default actions.
>
> But it means that in a noexcept method, it's unsafe to call exception()
> without a try-catch, even though it would be safe to call in any case
> other than empty. And it means that exception() doesn't return the
> exception that would be thrown by value() in that case either.

That was intentional. I in fact strongly toyed with attempt to access
empty being an immediate std::terminate(), but I decided that throwing a
special unique exception type would cause std::terminate() anyway in
noexcept code, whilst in exception throwing land it was probably better
not the arbitrarily exit the process.

I could be very easily persuaded to put it back to std::terminate though.

> Maybe the answer is "so check for empty first!" but that seems like
> clutter if you're not expecting to see empty but still need to put it in
> to defensively avoid a std::terminate.
>
> And it's bizarre to have empty have super-throw behaviour if the method
> wants to treat it like an optional success value, as you've suggested is
> occasionally useful.

The programmer can always override the default handling of empty, value,
error, exception. This is by design.

> Why not just have exception() return the empty-state exception that
> value() would have thrown?

Hopefully now explained above. Would you prefer a std::terminate on
accessing empty instead? I'm strongly leaning towards that now we'll
have split empty-capable vs non-empty-capable types, indeed I just
logged that to https://github.com/ned14/boost.outcome/issues/54.

Niall

--
ned Productions Limited Consulting