Subject: Re: [boost] [outcome] expected, etc. why are these assignable
From: Richard Hodges (hodges.r_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-06-02 16:22:28

Forgive me chiming in late, but what is the semantic difference between:

enum class no_difference
{
    _
}

expected<std::path, no_difference, std::error_code, std::exception_ptr>

and this:

using path_difference = std::variant<std::path, no_difference>;
using error = std::variant<std::error_code, std::exception_ptr>;

expected<path_difference, error> return_first_diff(...);

Doesn't the latter form satisfy all concerns in that:
1. It conforms to a desirable 2-state 'value or error' KISS paradigm.
2. it contains all the information we'll ever need.
3. success code paths are now co-located, as are failure code paths. There
is no need for N code-paths to cater for N states. Isn't this more
maintainable?