Subject: Re: [boost] variant2 never empty guarantees
From: degski (degski_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-06-09 06:09:37

On 9 June 2017 at 02:05, Gavin Lambert via Boost <boost_at_[hidden]>
wrote:

> ... since assignment is not really expected to throw for any reason other
> than out of memory.

Are there really any modernish OSes that *do* run out of memory? Stack
space (on those type of machines) maybe, but now we are talking programming
error, I would say, because that situation is foreseeable (and should be
expected) by the programmer. From what I understand, if one is programming
for embedded systems or iot-devices, dynamic allocation is not the common
way to do things and all memory required is allocated upon boot.

This quotes springs to mind: “In theory, theory and practice are the same.
In practice, they are not.”

degski

--
"*Ihre sogenannte Religion wirkt bloß wie ein Opiat reizend, betäubend,
Schmerzen aus Schwäche stillend.*" - Novalis 1798