Subject: Re: [boost] variant2 never empty guarantees
From: degski (degski_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-06-10 05:23:35

On 9 June 2017 at 14:28, Peter Dimov via Boost <boost_at_[hidden]>
wrote:

> Yes, it's not hard for a 32 bit app to run out of memory (which usually
> means address space). Not hard at all nowadays.

As a programmer, I *can* detect whether any source code is compiled 32 bit.
Now I know I have a possible address space issue. The code should address
this issue (no pun intended).

Andrzej concluded that only out of memory errors should trigger an
exception on assignment. I'm argueing that that should not happen either,
because I would consider that a short-coming in the code, just like f.e.
non-tail-recursive deep recursive functions are not safe. Life would be so
much easier if we had actual Turing-machines.

degski

--
"*Ihre sogenannte Religion wirkt bloß wie ein Opiat reizend, betäubend,
Schmerzen aus Schwäche stillend.*" - Novalis 1798