Subject: Re: [boost] [review] Review of Nowide (Unicode) starts today
From: Groke, Paul (paul.groke_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-06-12 08:09:01

Frédéric Bron wrote
> Your participation is encouraged, as the proposed library is uncoupled,
> focused and rather small. Nowadays, everyone needs to handle Unicode but
> this is very difficult using only the standard library in a platform independant
> way. Nowide offers a very simple way to handle Unicode the same way on
> Windows/MacOS/Linux.
>
> Key features:
>
> * work with UTF-8 in your code, Nowide converts to OS encoding
> * Easy to use functions for converting UTF-8 to/from UTF-16
> * A class to fixing argc, argc and env main parameters to use UTF-8
> * UTF-8 aware functions:
> - stdio.h functions (fopen, freopen, remove, rename)
> - stdlib.h functions (system, getenv, setenv, unsetenv, putenv)
> - fstream (filebuf, fstream/ofstream/ifstream)
> - iostream (cout, cerr, clog, cin)

Not a review, just a question (actually two): how does Nowide deal with modified UTF-8? I'm asking because if modified UTF-8 is fully supported (converting from/to, passing modified UTF-8 directly to the UTF-8 aware functions etc.), then Nowide could be valuable to us. Also: are any other platforms aside from Windows/OS X/Linux supported (e.g. AIX, z/OS)?

Thanks,
Paul Groke