Subject: Re: [boost] [review] Review of Nowide (Unicode) starts today
From: Groke, Paul (paul.groke_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-06-12 09:20:39

Artyom Beilis wrote
> > Not a review, just a question (actually two): how does Nowide deal with
> modified UTF-8?
>
> No, modified utf-8 is not supported since it isn't utf-8 it will be considered
> invalid encoding.

I know modified UTF-8 is (can be) invalid UTF-8, that's why I asked. I think it could make sense to support it anyway though. Round tripping (strictly invalid, but possible) file names on Windows, easier interoperability with stuff like JNI, ...
OTOH it would add overhead for systems with native UTF-8 APIs, because Nowide would at least have to check every string for "modified UTF-8 encoded" surrogate pairs and convert the string if necessary. Which of course is a good argument for not supporting modified UTF-8, because then Nowide could just pass the strings through unmodified on those systems.