Subject: Re: [boost] [review] Review of Nowide (Unicode) starts today
From: Frédéric Bron (frederic.bron_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-06-16 05:00:09

> Please note: Under POSIX platforms no conversions are performed
> and no UTF-8 validation is done as this is incorrect:
>
> http://cppcms.com/files/nowide/html/index.html#qna

I do not quite understand the rationale behind not converting to UTF-8
on Posix platforms. I naively though I got UTF-8 in argv because my
system is convigured in UTF-8 but I discover that this is not
necessary always the case. In the example you highlight, I do not see
the difference from the Windows case. You could convert to UTF-8 in
argv and back to the local encoding in nowide::remove. I understand it
is not efficient if you do not really use the content of the filename
but if you have to write, say an xml report in UTF-8, you would have
to convert anyway.

Today, what is the portable way to convert argv to UTF-8? i.e. without
having to #ifdef _WIN32...?

Frédéric