Subject: [boost] [nowide] request for clarification
From: Andrzej Krzemienski (akrzemi1_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-06-16 15:12:27

Hi Everyone,
I admit I am not quite familiar with the problem, but I understand that as
one of the features, nowide offers a replacement for std::fstream that can
be constructed with its string types. At the same time we have
boost::filesystem that offers its own replacement for std::fstream that can
be constructed with filesystem::path. Now, if I want to use
`filesystem::path`s in my program (to be able to tell just any string from
a filesystem path), can I still use the benefits of `nowide` library?

Also, in the docs for nowide::ifstream, we read, "Same as
std::basic_ifstream<char> but accepts UTF-8 strings under Windows." What
about other systems? What does it accept on Linux? ascii?

In documentation for `nowide::args`, we read, "args is a class that fixes
standard main() function arguments and changes them to UTF-8 under
Microsoft Windows."
Does it write to the input strings in-place? is it even legal in C++?
It "fixes", which implies that otherwise the args are "broken". How are
args in function main() broken? (other than not being UTF-8)?

Regards,
&rzej;