Subject: Re: [boost] [concurrent] Fast, lock-based queue implementation
From: David Stone (david_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-06-18 02:49:14

On Sat, Jun 17, 2017 at 10:26 PM, Peter Dimov via Boost <
boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> - If C++14 is required, why not use the standard thread/chrono facilities?

Excellent question that I should document. std::thread does not support
interruption, boost::thread does. I find this feature compelling enough to
justify using the boost version over the standard. The next best
alternative, as far as I know, is to do the equivalent of adding a "stop
processing messages" message to the queue. In particular, I found this to
work well together with
boost::scoped_thread<boost::interrupt_and_join_if_joinable>. The use of
boost::chrono instead of std::chrono is just to interoperate with
boost::condition_variable.

> - Where can I see the benchmark results? You link to a fork of the
> moodycamel repo, but I couldn't find the actual results.

Oh, I must have forgotten to save those. I will re-run the benchmarks and
put the results in a document in the repo.