Subject: Re: [boost] Proposal for moving Boost to CMake
From: Gary Furnish (gfurnish_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-06-19 00:53:35

For whatever its worth as a user who sometimes contributes patches to
fix bugs, I don't use the system compiler and instead use scripts to
test different builds of internal code (clang, clang with various
sanitizers and options, different versions of gcc, etc). This is such
a pain with boost build because of the difficulty of automating
building multiple copies with custom compilers and flags with the same
source tree. In cmake this is easy, you just change some command line
flags, something trivial in scripts. In Boost, I think I got it
working once using undocumented features after spending several hours
looking around at docs, source code(!), and stack overflow. I now
automatically just don't use boost
libraries that aren't header only. I would rather rewrite code than
fight with the build process. That is a bad state of affairs.