Subject: Re: [boost] proposal - modularize Boost build system
From: Peter Dimov (lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-06-19 13:30:20

> Stefan Seefeld wrote:
>
> > I'm asking whether a specific use-case that is obviously important to me
> > (and to many others I gather, even though few people express it the way
> > I do) could be supported.
>
> What I use is this:
>
> https://github.com/boostorg/system/blob/develop/.travis.yml#L288
>
> This is not quite what you want, because it doesn't use the
> system-installed Boost, ...

What you want is this:

git clone --depth=1 -b develop https://github.com/boostorg/boost.git
cd boost
git submodule update --init libs/config
git submodule update --init tools/build
git submodule update --init libs/python
./bootstrap.sh
cd libs/python
../../b2 test include=include

This works for me on CentOS 7, using the glorious preinstalled Boost 1.53.
Two tests fail, exec and import_. (And on second thought, it should work
even without include=include, and it does.)

For Travis, replace the `git submodule update --init libs/python` with a
copy of the already checked out repo, as I do in the file referenced above.

Unless you hit the CI job limit, I'd still recommend the depinst-based one
though.