Subject: Re: [boost] proposal - modularize Boost build system
From: Peter Dimov (lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-06-19 13:57:55

Edward Diener wrote:
> You did mention in your OP:
>
> 5) Invoke a command to install it

Ah, I forgot about those, thanks Edward.

    ./b2 --with-python stage

There is a subtlety here, one which might not matter in practice. This
libboost_python will be compiled against the checked out Config, instead of
the 1.53 preinstalled one. I'm pretty sure that this will not cause any
problems, but if you want to be strict, you'll have to murder -rf
libs/config/include before starting the test/stage procedure.

The reason for this is that currently a part of Boost.Build depends on a
part of Boost.Config (for the feature checks such as cxx11_smart_ptr I see
Boost.Python uses) so libs/config needs to be checked out for tools/build to
work. But the actual C++ portion of Boost.Config isn't needed, we could use
the preinstalled one.

> 6) Invoke a command to package it (optional)

On your own here, sorry.