Subject: Re: [boost] Proposal for moving Boost to CMake
From: Diego Rodriguez-Losada (diego.rlosada_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-06-19 15:32:19

> On Sun, Jun 18, 2017 at 4:05 PM, Rene Rivera via Boost
> <boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> > Why not use...Conan
>
> Conan is great for killing trolls but for generating Visual Studio
> project and solution files (.vcxproj and .sln)? Not so much.

Conan is not a build system, so I am not sure why it should generate a
Visual Studio project and solution.

It integrates with any build system, having built-in support for most
common ones. If you are using cmake, conan will generate a
"conanbuildinfo.cmake" with information about your dependencies in it, you
can use in your CMakeLists.txt, and of course generate Visual Studio
solutions and projects from your CMakeLists.txt, exactly as you do now.

Furthermore, conan is able to provide direct, native integration with
Visual Studio. It has helpers that can build VS solutions easily, and it
generates "conanbuildinfo.props" files, that can be directly loaded into
Visual Studio. Check this blog post for example:
http://blog.conan.io/2017/05/11/C-C++-Binary-Package-Management-for-Visual-Studio.html

The CMake integration, generating Visual Studio projects is much more
widely used, but both approaches are already being actively used in
production.