Subject: Re: [boost] proposal - modularize Boost build system
From: Stefan Seefeld (stefan_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-06-19 19:57:16

On 19.06.2017 15:48, Peter Dimov via Boost wrote:
> Stefan Seefeld wrote:
>
>> What would it take for Boost to support individual libraries to be
>> built with anything else ?
>
> In what scenario? Standalone, or as part of the Boost release?

Both, as the goal is not to add more infrastructure, but to replace it.

> If standalone, it's up to you to support whatever you like.
>
> If as part of the release, this would mean that everyone who wants to
> build a Boost release would now need to have your preferred build
> system installed. Currently, we don't require anything else, as
> Boost.Build is part of the release. So this would be a significant
> regression in usability.

I understand. This is a bit of a vicious circle: Right now Boost is
always built as a whole, so lots of people do it. In a modular Boost
world, fewer people would build all of boost, as it's much easier to
build just the libraries people need.

        Stefan