Subject: Re: [boost] [cmake] Minimum viable cmakeification for Boost
From: Peter Dimov (lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-06-20 18:58:25

paul wrote:
> On Tue, 2017-06-20 at 20:58 +0300, Peter Dimov via Boost wrote:
> > paul wrote:
> >

> > > At 10000+ you are dealing with at least 5 different buildsystems:
> > > autotools, cmake, b2, meson, and qmake.
> >
> > Absolutely not. Everyone on this scale builds everything with a single
> > (usually in-house) build system.
>
> I have not worked at a place that used a single build system. Nor do
> distros build like that.

Ah, we're talking about different things then. You're talking about building
and shipping 10,000 libraries. I thought we're talking about building a
project with 10,000 dependencies.

> Well, I guess I should switch from my "unmaintainable" OS to windows.

That's just nonsense. The OS doesn't matter.

> > and errors are irreproducible.
>
> This has not been my experience. I have found "irreproducible" errors(ie
> it shows on one machine but not the other), but this was due to differnt
> kernel versions, which a single in-house build would've not fixed or
> helped either.

Reproducible here refers to you get a bug report about build number 49121,
but you're already on 56192 internally. You need to be able to rewind back
to 49121. The entire state of the project is a unit, you can't treat
dependencies as their own separate kingdoms which you build, "install", and
forget about.