Subject: Re: [boost] [cmake] Minimum viable cmakeification for Boost
From: Thomas Heller (thom.heller_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-06-21 22:33:31

On Thu, Jun 22, 2017 at 12:21 AM, Niall Douglas via Boost <
boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> >> Surely users of static library A that uses ASIO will use the static
> >> library edition of ASIO and the static library edition of System?
> >
> > Eh. All right.
> >
> > Static library A uses header-only library B uses non-header-only library
> > C. Are we clear now. :-)
>
> Oh sure. But if that were the case, there is likely a very good reason
> for it, so it's desirable to be that way.
>
> The real problem is when the end user doesn't want the specific
> combination of hl-sl-dl chosen by the library devs for them. What I was
> saying what to supply all-::hl, all-::sl and all-::dl where possible,
> and that probably maps onto what 98% of end users will want. The number
> which want some weird mashup for ::hl, ::sl and ::dl variants is likely
> very low.

I can only speak for myself here. What my usecases are:
  - I don't care whether I got a combination of dynamic and static (which
means I am on a platform supporting dynamic libraries)
  - I want a build with everything static

That is, when I configure/run the build, I tell the build system this.
Usually via the command line, in a similar way I set the compiler,
additional flags and paths to dependencies. For CMake, this is, as far as I
am concerned, done by setting specific cache variables, with autotools and
b2, I pass the approrpriate flags. This is then honored by the specific
build scripts.
YMMV, of course. I am still unclear if this is the wrong approach in a
modern, declarative world, or if there's a better approach. If there is
one, which would it be?