Subject: Re: [boost] Proposal for moving Boost to CMake
From: Peter Dimov (lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-06-22 01:48:16

Louis Dionne wrote:

> And here's a minimal XYZConfig.cmake file for a library with compiled
> sources (I added source files to Hana and turned it into a static library
> to check this):
>
> https://gist.github.com/ldionne/df7b6888752097e25bfc2333f6d897ca#file-minimal-handwritten-config-static-cmake

To get back to this... it ain't so easy. On Linux, where the default
is --layout=system, you indeed can only have libhana.a and libhana.so (a
link to libhana.so.1.65.0 or something like that).

But on Windows, `b2 --build-type=complete --with-system toolset=msvc-14.1`
gives you this:

boost_system-vc141-mt-1_65.dll
boost_system-vc141-mt-1_65.lib
boost_system-vc141-mt-gd-1_65.dll
boost_system-vc141-mt-gd-1_65.lib
libboost_system-vc141-mt-1_65.lib
libboost_system-vc141-mt-gd-1_65.lib
libboost_system-vc141-mt-s-1_65.lib
libboost_system-vc141-mt-sgd-1_65.lib
libboost_system-vc141-s-1_65.lib
libboost_system-vc141-sgd-1_65.lib

and of course compiling with a different toolset would give you the
appropriate, different, names. You can have all of these installed
simultaneously.

So boost_system-config.cmake needs to be slightly more elaborate.