Subject: Re: [boost] [outcome v2] Please comment on new result<T, EC> reference API docs
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-06-22 22:24:43

> So result<T, S> is either wearing a "status hat", or it is wearing a
> "failure hat". It cannot be both.
>
> The only remaining objection now is that result<...> is named the same
> yet has different semantics depending on its S type. Yet error_code is
> also a status, it's just a *negative* status rather than a *positive*
> status.

I've pushed clarifying reference API docs regarding this trait
separation of positive versus negative status types to
https://dedi4.nedprod.com/static/result-v2/doc_result.html.

I appreciate that this change is controversial. However, I am also
minded that there is no point in Outcome v2 covering the identical
ground as Expected, just less well. Outcome ought to be isomorphic to
Expected, be strong at the areas Expected is weak at and so on.

Niall

--
ned Productions Limited Consulting