Subject: Re: [boost] Fw: [stacktrace] [winapi] header out of place
From: Antony Polukhin (antoshkka_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-06-24 10:47:25

> On 06/22/17 22:12, Peter Dimov via Boost wrote:
>>
>> The header
>>
>> stacktrace:
>> boost/detail/winapi/capture_stack.hpp
>>
>> should probably either be moved to Winapi, as the name suggests, or
>> renamed
>> to reside in boost/stacktrace/detail.
>

> By the looks of it, it's something rather specific to Boost.Stacktrace, so
> it should probably be moved inside boost/stacktrace. While doing so, the
> file contents should also be updated to avoid using Boost.WinAPI namespace
> and macro prefixes. The include guard should be fixed as well.

It's part of the Windows API, it's not stacktrace specific. All the
really specific stuff is located in
https://github.com/boostorg/stacktrace/blob/master/include/boost/stacktrace/detail/frame_msvc.ipp

I'd really love to move that file to Boost.WinAPI as the initial
intent was to do so.

>> And, as a general rule, libraries should strive to keep their headers
>> under
>> boost/<libname>, with the only exception being boost/<libname>.hpp. We
>> have
>> many legacy libraries not following this requirement, but any new ones and
>> any new headers added to existing ones should.
>>
>> The reason for this requirement is that otherwise it's impossible to
>> perform
>> dependency analysis unless all of Boost is checked out so that the tool
>> can
>> tell in what module boost/random-header-name.hpp resides.
>

> More importantly, putting files in other libraries' directories is asking
> for conflicts.

Yes, sorry for that. I had to deal with that issue earlier.

--
Best regards,
Antony Polukhin