Subject: Re: [boost] Cmake
From: Peter Dimov (lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-06-25 20:49:13

Niall Douglas wrote:
> > Yes, as much as I like - in principle - the separate ::static/::shared
> > targets, they are an "innovation" that raises certain questions to which
> > I don't have satisfactory answers, so I felt that the initial
> > cmake-ification should not innovate in this area.
>
> They are definitely not an innovation.

It would have been an innovation for me, had I tried to produce such a
design. My CMake knowledge only goes so far. When library A depends on B
depends on C, and the end user links to A::static, B::shared, and C::header,
I don't know how to write the CMakeLists of A, B, and C so that to make this
work, and my - admittedly limited - understanding is that how to make this
work is not yet common CMake knowledge.