Subject: Re: [boost] [Beast] Questions Before Review
From: Vinnie Falco (vinnie.falco_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-06-25 23:54:46

On Sun, Jun 25, 2017 at 4:42 PM, Niall Douglas via Boost
<boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:

Rarely I find the need to quote myself, this is one such occasion:

>Using gsl::span<> effectively type-erases the buffer sequence which is
>inefficient, since it must be copied to a vector equivalent in order
>to be used.

> Think gsl::span<gsl::span<char>>.

gsl::span<gsl::span<char>> effectively requires the callers to set
aside storage for an array of std::pair<void const*, std::size_t>. The
Asio equivalent is std::vector<boost::asio::const_buffer> which as you
can see is inefficient as std::vector is not cheap to copy.

Asio's ConstBufferSequence concept of course includes
gsl::span<gsl::span<char>> and std::vector<boost::asio::const_buffer>
as models but it also includes the types I provided which cannot be
modeled using gsl::span without intermediate storage. If you feel this
is an acceptable tradeoff for your library, I am quite happy for you
but I'll stick with the use of templates and the ConstBufferSequence
concept since that is what is on track for standardization.

> I'd have thought that as the HTTP comes in - in chunks -
> your code would work with discontiguous storage.

I thought that too and built quite a bit on top of a parser that
worked in chunks, until I used a profiler and did some comparisons to
other implementations...

> Are you memory copying instead?

...when I discovered it is actually much, much faster to memcpy
discontiguous buffers into a new, allocated buffer so that the parser
can assume the entire structured portion is in a single "span" (to use
the terminology you prefer). And of course if the caller already has
the data in a single buffer then there's no need to memcpy. The class
beast::flat_buffer is provided for that purpose.