Subject: Re: [boost] [Beast] Questions Before Review
From: Vinnie Falco (vinnie.falco_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-06-28 15:25:27

On Tue, Jun 27, 2017 at 1:30 PM, Artyom Beilis via Boost
<boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Can you give examples of high level application users?
> Or wrapping excellent well supported and debugged library
> with good C++ interface. BTW I used libcurl a lot and it
> was and is the Wwiss army knife in all related to URL requests.

I asked a user this question:

"Is Beast otherwise living up to your expectations / fulfilling your needs?"

His reply [1]

"absolutely, I have implemented embedded http servers across a whole
suite of programs (still need to update using the new framework) and I
was able to exorcise curl for simple http GET/POST requests with a
short extension/asyncification of the http client example. Had to do
async because there's essentially no support for timeouts in asio sync
methods (see this awesome wontfix -
https://svn.boost.org/trac10/ticket/2832). so I recommend a note about
this somewhere and maybe an async example or a link to some asio async
resources. I can try to sanitize /release my extension if that would
help

getting rid of curl on an embedded target takes my runtime link
dependencies down from 50-something to ~17, it's crazy. curl is
extremely hard to statically link on debian and very much embraces the
"unix way" of having tons of small supporting elements. so for a
couple GET/POST it gets to be a bit much. most competitive libraries
are similarly huge and can be hard to set up

so, anyway, this fills a big void in simple to set up and non-bloated
http tools for c++, thank you"

[1] https://github.com/vinniefalco/Beast/issues/548#issuecomment-311690875