Subject: Re: [boost] [review][beast] Review of Beast starts today : July 1 - July 10
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-07-02 15:07:19

>> The reason why according to you is for the buffer infrastructure. But as
>> I've already told you, that's a relic from a decade ago. New code
>> neither ought to nor needs to use that. We have far better available today.
>>

> "A relic from a decade ago" is not an argument.

It would not be if there hadn't been very significant progress in how to
do generic and powerful buffers and views since.

However, we have the Ranges TS now, we have Contiguous Container concept
support, we have spans and views, all on the standards track. ASIO gets
to keep its legacy design because it's so important to standardise
existing practice, not invent standards by committee. But any new code
must be held to a higher standard.

And most especially in this particular case, dragging in the entire of
ASIO for a few buffer types is just crazy daft. Instead use some Ranges
TS inspired types - or a C++ 98 era iterator pair - from which ASIO can
auto construct buffer sequences on its own. Do not drag in ASIO for such
a trivial, and unnecessary, use case, so gratuitously damaging the end
user experience as a result.

Niall

--
ned Productions Limited Consulting