Subject: Re: [boost] [review][beast] Review of Beast starts today : July 1 - July 10
From: Phil Endecott (spam_from_boost_dev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-07-03 16:37:09

Niall Douglas wrote:
> Qt provides an extensive networking implementation which does not
> work well with ASIO. So does Apple, Google and Microsoft, all of whom
> have substantial proprietary networking implementations

I think this is an important point - on what platforms is Beast
actually useful in practice?

I have some iOS apps, and it's not clear to me to what extent ASIO
works with that platform's event loop, or other important OS features
(for example, if you just use the POSIX sockets API on iOS then you
might find that the radio gets turned off to save power, because the
OS doesn't know that you need it to be kept on). So currently I do
HTTP on iOS using a simple C++ wrapper around Apple's objC NSURLConnection.

We could speculate about what will happen if ASIO gets standardised.
Will Apple (and the others) provide an implementation that works properly
on their platform? Maybe, but I would not bet on it.

How much of Beast is useful without ASIO?

Regards, Phil.