Subject: Re: [boost] [review][beast] Review of Beast starts today : July 1 - July 10
From: Emil Dotchevski (emildotchevski_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-07-03 16:54:00

On Mon, Jul 3, 2017 at 9:40 AM, Vinnie Falco via Boost <
boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> > How much of Beast is useful without ASIO?
>
> Not very much, although you can use beast::http::serializer and
> beast::http::basic_parser using only <boost/asio/buffer.hpp> which is
> pretty small, self contained, and knows nothing about sockets.
>
> There is a point of contention here, one reviewer thinks that
> buffer.hpp should not be a dependency. However that discussion is
> stalled due to non-technical reasons.
>
> Realistically speaking if you are trying to use Beast without Asio
> (modulo buffer.hpp as stated above) you aren't going to get very far
> at all.

The question is must Beast be coupled to Asio, not can it be used without
something like Asio. And I don't mean just in the case of someone using
serializer/basic_parser and nothing else.

In my opinion, arguing that coupling is necessary should begin with
defining an interface which Beast can use, which can be trivially
implemented in terms of Asio. In designing this interface the only concern
should be avoiding the coupling; specifically, performance considerations
should be completely ignored. Only then we can have a reasonable discussion
is it worth it. Regardless, in my experience this kind of exercise always
improves the design of a library.