Subject: Re: [boost] [review][beast] Review of Beast starts today : July 1 - July 10
From: Vinnie Falco (vinnie.falco_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-07-05 22:17:26

On Wed, Jul 5, 2017 at 3:01 PM, Edward Diener via Boost
<boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> You are saying that a library that is supposed to be reviewed for inclusion
> in Boost is supposed to somehow work outside of Boost ? I do not think so
> and can't even begin to understand that sort of logic.

Speaking for my own library Beast, I have developed a following of
users over the lifetime of the library and these users aren't cloning
the Beast repository into boost/libs/beast. They are getting it from
vcpkg, git-subtree or git-submodule into their own repository, or
cloning it out-of-tree.

It would be a poor experience if Beast did not build out-of-tree or if
it required users to put files into their system provided Boost
installation or to create their own Boost installation.

It was stated somewhere that Boost reviewers like to see instances of
libraries that are already being used in practice. A library can work
out-of-tree or it can be unpopular - pick one.