Subject: Re: [boost] [review][beast] Review of Beast starts today : July 1 - July 10
From: Barrett Adair (barrettellisadair_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-07-08 19:48:41

On Sat, Jul 1, 2017 at 2:39 AM, Michael Caisse via Boost
<boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> The formal review of Vinnie Falco’s Beast library will take place from
> July 1 through July 10, 2017.

(snip)

I recommend to ACCEPT Beast into Boost.

> - What is your evaluation of the design?

I quite like it. I appreciate the limited, low-level scope. The
"design choices" page is convincing to me, although I am relatively
unfamiliar with the domain.

It's large, so I randomly poked around the code for about an hour. I
have no issues to raise, although I found it interesting that Beast
implements SHA1 on its own, and also contains a complete header-only
port of zlib.

I'm highly impressed. The documenation is excellent.

> - What is your evaluation of the potential usefulness of the library?

Very useful. I'm excited about Beast, and I think its acceptance would
add significant value to Boost.

> - Did you try to use the library? With which compiler(s)? Did you
> have any problems?

I did not try to use the library.

> - How much effort did you put into your evaluation? A glance? A quick
> reading? In-depth study?

One hour reading docs and one hour reading code.

> - Are you knowledgeable about the problem domain?

No. I rarely write code that deals with HTTP directly, and I've never used ASIO.

Thanks,
Barrett