Subject: Re: [boost] [beast] Formal review
From: Vinnie Falco (vinnie.falco_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-07-11 14:40:54

On Tue, Jul 11, 2017 at 6:40 AM, Phil Endecott via Boost
<boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> The following code is totally untested.
>

> template <typename ITER>
> bool is_valid_utf8(ITER i, ITER end, uint8_t& pending)

Ah, I see what you did - very nice! This is almost the same as the
current version but smaller. I like the way you run the
code-point-at-a-time until reaching alignment, and then run the mask
loop. This is a better way of organizing the code, thanks.

I've imported the code into Beast to plug it into the tests and
benchmarks, but it fails the tests:

<https://github.com/vinniefalco/Beast/tree/utf8>

<https://github.com/vinniefalco/Beast/commit/29cd9d6a9e1e7217798be06ded299ffac53a0a4f>

I tried to figured out what's wrong with the routine but my grasp of
utf8 is not quite as good as yours.

Thanks