Subject: Re: [boost] [beast] Formal review
From: Phil Endecott (spam_from_boost_dev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-07-12 00:08:07

Vinnie Falco wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 11, 2017 at 10:21 AM, Phil Endecott via Boost
> <boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> I was hoping one of those links would tell me what exactly failed....
>
> <https://travis-ci.org/vinniefalco/Beast/jobs/252431572#L6391>
>
> e.g.
> <https://github.com/vinniefalco/Beast/blob/29cd9d6a9e1e7217798be06ded299ffac53a0a4f/test/websocket/utf8_checker.cpp#L44>

OK, I think that is an "overlong encoding" issue, where the UTF-8
would decode to a codepoint that should be represented by a shorter
sequence. The UTF-8 decoder that I used as a starting point for this
happily accepts such input.

There are probably other issues. For example, I don't think the "skip
pending" loop does the right thing when the buffer ends and the
pending bytes end at the same time. I wasn't expecting you to actually
try to use this code!

Regards, Phil.